Friday, October 29, 2010

A little something for the moment.

My buddy Morgan was working on some new riffs the other day, we caught a recording of one outside his apartment. I remember when he first started the riff, I wasn't paying very close attention -- then I heard him hit the natural harmonics at the end of a bar, and told him "Stop. Start over. We're recording this."





I adore this riff, even with the crappy cellphone camera quality audio. It's honest, got a bit of creativity in it while remaining familiar, and just has some sort of soulful light shining through it... it's honest songwriting. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

Anyway, I'm working up some real content, but in the meantime I thought I'd share this and see if anyone else digs it the way I do. Enjoy, guys.

18 comments:

  1. Wow thats really smooth, I always envy those who can play instruments because I haven't really had much luck with them myself, aside from piano. An instrument can relay feelings or a story without even saying a word. Ugh, music is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good, color me impressed

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was damn good. I really enjoyed that. I'm also looking forward to see what comes of that. Good job, Morgan!

    I also voted on the poll, Lateralus. One of my favorite albums. Also one of my favorite bands, despite my growing hatred for Maynard after having the "pleasure" of meeting him. Either way, looks like it's up in votes, so.....good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats awesome. I love when people just start playing and happen to play amazing stuff. Happens to my brother a lot

    ReplyDelete
  5. just jammin out in the sunlight. beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is the epitome of sitting on the front porch or stairs.
    This more personal stuff is (I think) generally more endearing to your readers. And for a phone recording, it has some chunk to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool tunes man! ur talented - you should put lyrics on top itd be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. his riffs feel very genuine, I really like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. With such a terrible recording, the music still shines through. That's like...a test or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed :D I'd listen to just that if it weren't for the car alarm/talking/quality :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is truly some great guitar, made my day watching this
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great! I've always wished I could just do this....

    ReplyDelete