Thursday, October 7, 2010

On Music, and Why I Love It

I absolutely love music.  And when I say that, I mean it in a way that most people don't.

I love music because even when you take all of the fundamental elements out of focus and just relax your ears, and really hear everything while listening to nothing in particular, music still has a certain moving quality to it.  It pierces through moments of disfocused disinterest.

I love music because of the phenomenon of when a song and a moment collide in just the right way for you to relive that exact moment just as fresh as the day it happened years later.  There's a magic to it, how real the moment it brings back is.

I love music because it can escalate the highest points of life, underscore and supplement the lows.  It can color moments in ways that nothing else quite can, and certainly not words alone.

I love music because, if I need to be metaphysical and flowery about it, I'm forever and always enraptured by that fleeting moment when ethereal sounds vibrate their way from my ears to my brain to my heart to my soul.  That's what listening to an album I enjoy is like for me, over and over throughout the disc.

I love music more than most people probably love their significant others.  For an intangible concept, it has a tangible hold and effect on me and has made my life worth living.

So, you see why writing a music blog is a good idea for me?

15 comments:

  1. Who doesn't like music? Unless someone was born deaf..then I feel bad they never got to experience something so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you really put some effort in writing this! sounds nicely!
    btw. im listenin to some richie havens right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is amazing. Hell, even the concept of sound itself is magical to me. We have a sense for detecting the movement of waves in the air, or some shit like that. And the way that it manifests? The way that something as simple as the difference between a major and minor chord can evoke a different response in us, and this reaction scales up to grand symphonies. It makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You high bro?

    Liking music is so 90's

    ReplyDelete
  5. music is good for the soul =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Playing my ukulele gives me an escape. I love music more than anything. To me every genre of music has many jems, the challenge is to find them. Great post man :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. It's why i do what i do chanomesayin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I luff music, I'm listening to it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "when a song and a moment collide"
    This is an excellent description of what (I think) happens to a lot of people. Couples have 'their song' or guys have their music that they associate with pumping up or fighting...
    Not to sound all Dick Clark, but there is something to be said about having a soundtrack to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Couldn't agree more, I find music even better when I can relate to the lyrics in some way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know what you mean. Richard D. James is contributing passionately to my sense of peace right now.

    ReplyDelete