Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Parkway Drive - Deep Blue (2010)



Brutal riffing, crushing rhythm section parts, and powerful vocals blend together beautifully on the Australian metal band's third disc to create an excellent overall piece of work.  Expansive and intense, with a concept that engages the mind, this album was a classic from release day.
Rating: 4.5/5



I was not a Parkway Drive fan before reviewing this album. I didn't dislike them, but they seemed like one of those bands that didn't draw me in right now, yet probably had a release in them that I would like. Little did I know back then that this gem was on the horizon. Deep Blue is an incredibly intense, visceral album that you can't help but headbang to - the heavy low-end riffing from the guitarists, backed solidly by the rhythm section, grab and force you into metal bliss, as the vocals tell you a story about a man looking for truth at the bottom of the ocean.

This album takes all the familiar trappings of metalcore - palm-muted guitar gallops, midrange punchy screams and growls, high-flying riffs - and makes them all into something new and compelling. Some tracks, like Deadweight, absolutely destroy with their heaviness, and others, like the more reserved Home is for the Heartless, go for the epic route, finding a little humanity along the way. Nearly every song on this album is a gem similar to these two.

My only problem is the same that I usually have with great albums -- when you've got a bunch of tracks that kick major ass, you'd better not have anything even slightly below that standard on the disc, or I'm going to complain. This album, sadly, is no different. Unrest and Hollow just didn't reach the bar set by the other tracks. That bar is quite high, though, and I'm not saying they're bad songs by any means. Just noticeable low points.

All in all, as previously stated, this album is a metalcore classic that I'll probably be spinning for the next few weeks straight before thinking about slowing, and I'm willing to bet it'll have the same effect on any other fans of the genre.

Pros: Incredibly heavy, high energy, cool concept
Cons: Unrest and Hollow.

Standout Track - Home is for the Heartless

15 comments:

  1. On your remark at my blog, you are certainly not in a dubstep mood, at least not today !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My only problem is the same that I usually have with great albums -- when you've got a bunch of tracks that kick major ass, you'd better not have anything even slightly below that standard on the disc, or I'm going to complain."

    I think they're in there to make you really appreciate the kick ass ones. But still, it'd be better if they were also kicking ass or just not in there. Put them on a single or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about having tracks on there to make you appreciate the kick-ass ones. At some point they thought, "Ok, this sounds good, we hope."

    I know this is my standard comment here, but I get a not-so-fresh feeling with them.
    Good to listen to, sure, but I doubt they will stand out in my mind.

    Pretty epic @ 2:05

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some awesome track. ^ And yeah, 2:05 is just pure awesomeness. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guitar is good, I'm not a fan of the vocals though

    ReplyDelete
  6. these guys sound pretty cool, but im totally not at a screamy point in my mood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big fan of metalcore due to the general lack of variety and originality throughout the genre. This is alright, but nothing I would go out of my way to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a good song to listen to. More like this.

    ReplyDelete