Friday, October 8, 2010

Why I picked Light Grenades and why Love Hurts sucks.

I chose to review this album over the heads of other, arguably more well-recieved 00s outings from Incubus because this was the only one I hadn't really ever listened to all that much, and since my first two reviews covered albums I've had plenty of time with, I wanted to dive into something new.  I'm not just in this for the nostalgia, there's a lot of music from the 00's that I haven't paid full proper attention or flat-out haven't heard yet, and I want to explore the diverse and prolific period through this blog, your suggestions, etc.

Now, why do I hate Love Hurts so much?

Love Hurts is too simple; it's as simple as that.  The chorus line, "Love hurts / but sometimes it's a good hurt / and it feels like I'm alive" alone just makes me dislike this song.  Mainly because it's so straightforward, cliche, sappy, and just utterly easy that I feel slightly put off as a fan of Boyd's usual and time-tested lyrical cleverness.  That line leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Throw in boring instrumentation that really just kinda exists and gets the job done, but never goes above or beyond, and you've got a recipe for a bland, marketable mainstream single that will leave people thinking "Oh yeah, Incubus, what was the deal with that last album?" in four years when some smug jerk writes a review on his blog about it.

And none of this is even taking into consideration the huge radio push that put this song in everyone's heads ad nauseum.  This is just how I feel about the track by itself.

I would have released Rogues.  Maybe not the most radio-friendly, but neither was Megalomaniac when it came out.  Rogues is expansive, fun, and has texture.

17 comments:

  1. Love Hurts is too simple; it's as simple as that. - very well put. Also made me laugh for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It nice to have a refreshing take on music. Better than the usual mainstream bleh. HI :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice work here... btw, I have Hayden Panetierre bubbled on Enhanced by MS Paint :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, good post. I'd have to strongly agree about Love Hurts, after the first chorus i'm like "OK, i got it!".

    Overall i only really like the first few tracks of the Light Grenades album. I love Incubus but this album overall didn't really do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its a bit droll for my tastes \=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Love Hurts is a pretty lame song. It's definitely no Sick Sad Little World.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nothing to add to this really. I just wanted to say I love the new layout. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well good job, now I'm not going to listen to the song AT ALL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments on my last blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought that the album was okay. I listened to it when if first came out and there were some high points and low points. Once song that I liked from the beginning was Dig but after it was played on the radio over and over again, I slowly began to dislike it just like many other songs out there. However, there was one song on the album that was pretty popular that I liked a lot and that was Anna Molly. I guess it never got killed for me. But as of now, I almost forgot what the rest of the album sounded like because I haven't listened to it in so long. I guess I'll listen to it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh here I am again, thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for clearing that up bro. I agree it was simplistic but it was catchy at least.

    ReplyDelete