Thursday, November 4, 2010

Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone (2004)



A strong alt-rock sensibility and a very tight grasp on commercial appeal make this album utterly listenable and completely enjoyable, though it does wear thin on a few songs.

Most will remember this album for its lead single So Cold, the single that propelled Breaking Benjamin to lasting fame.  For the most part, the rest of the album is quite different.  Ben Burnley's distinctive howl is still all over the place, and is honestly one of the most memorable things about the band -- because the rest of the band sure isn't doing anything too risky.

This album is great, and easy to listen to.  And that's mostly because it relies very, very strongly on formulaic roots and sounds familiar to anyone who's had exposure to this sort of music before.  This is to be expected, somewhat -- Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan did help out in the studio on this album,  after all.

The crunchy riffs the band lays down rock, and they rock hard.  You'll want to move to this music.  Its high points - like the aforementioned So Cold, the melancholic Break My Fall, and the anthemic Follow - put the disc firmly into "instant classic" territory.  Unfortunately, formula catches up, and relatively boring, same-y cuts like Breakdown and Forget It retread familiar ground just a bit too much, bringing the album's feet back down into the realm of the solid effort.

Standout Tracks - So Cold, Follow



23 comments:

  1. Kind of weird that I recognize that album cover, but I've never heard ANYTHING by Breaking Benjamin - until now. You're exhausting my ear drums, 147. I haven't been disappointed with anything you've posted and it only makes me go out and listen to more. That isn't a complaint, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God I loved that album. I remember listening to it everyday after i got my license and drove to school. Thanks for bringing it back to memory, havent listened to these guys in awhile, guess i should check out their new album eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds quite good. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what you did with your blog.
    Followin !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaking Benjamin is one artist I loved! I think I even have this album, and if I recall, there was not one bad song on it. Not all were excellent, mind you, but they varied from decent to fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Breaking Benjamin, one of the rock bands I definitely don't mind listening to :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah i remember hearin so cold a good bit of times, i like listenin to em every know and then

    ReplyDelete
  8. IMO, So Cold was much better than their newer stuff. There's a such thing as being TOO commercial. But I suppose that's where the money is...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, I haven't heard them in forever. I only know one song by them, but still

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember hearing Breaking Benjamin in Middle school!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, my girlfriend at the time destroyed any chance this band may have had with me. The album was on infinite repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man haven't listened to Breaking Benjamin in a whiiiile, so cold definitely one of my fav songs, shame their latest album didn't really go anywhere :/

    ReplyDelete