Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This week's poll contenders - Pt. 2

And we're back, with the second half of the poll rundown.  If you're not sure what I'm talking about, check out today's first post.  We'll wait until you come back.

...

Oh, good, you're back.  We missed you.  Alright, let's get started.

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
I'm more than a little sure that most everyone has heard the singles from this album to know what they are and what to expect on that note, and to be honest, this is probably the album that most of you already know, so I decided to showcase my personal favorite of the disc.



Heavy, cold, eerie, and with a deathgrip on dynamic tension, I honestly think this is the best the album has to offer in terms of heavier songs. And my, is it good. The lyrics bring chills to the spine with their sinister edge -- it's a lullaby for bad, bad times.

Aesop Rock - Labor Days
All but the newest of readers have seen the post I did on Aesop Rock, no doubt, so posting Daylight again would be redundant. Luckily, this album has no shortage of good tracks.



The message of this song is pretty straightforward and uplifting, with a realistic framing that pulls the concept of chasing dreams from the realm of absurdity and into the 9 to 5'er life with its story. The instrumentation, shuffly and offbeat with its rhythms and oddly tense in its melody, help to capture the overall mood as Aes spits an inspirational life story.

Well, that about does it. To the polls with ye!

16 comments:

  1. Voted. Good songs, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I now know what to do.

    This method of voting is very nice. Pleasantly interactive for music reviews in that (like you said) a lot of us haven't heard enough to vote until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Pet.

    I'd never even heard of Aesop Rock. When I listened to it that's not what I was expecting, which was a good thing for me. Made me actually get involved in the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like A Perfect Circle. i really do. such good music...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Perfect Circle is without a doubt the best on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I normally refrain from commenting on my own stuff, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there, HugsALot. While APC is good, there's much doubt in my mind as to whether it's the best, considering the other albums its stacked up against.

    Not that they're really comparable to each other in any real sense, as all four albums on the poll fall into their own distinct sounds that don't really lend themselves to easy matchups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is cool! pretty cool. very nice! thanks for this! thanks for sharing! haha, I like this

    ReplyDelete